Tuesday, April 24, 2012

What a Crock!

So, my friends, I've realized that while I want to share my cooking experiences, I tend to forget that my blog exists. Occasionally, though, I cook a meal that everyone in my family actually eats (it's a miracle!) and afterwards I suddenly remember about this blog and know that I have share.

Also, lately, I've been learning more and more about the food industry in our country and am now committed to feeding my family the best, highest quality meals that I can. That means, cutting out most processed foods, buying as much organic as possible and even finding local meat and fish markets. (If you want to know what I'm talking about, watch the documentary "Food Inc.") In my search, I came across a blog called "100 Day of Real Food." It's written by a mom who committed to cutting all processed foods from her family's diet. In the process, she posted recipes, substitution suggestions and some other really great information. Today, I made my first recipe - "The Best Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot" from her site (see link below for the recipe).

I did, however, make two small changes to the original recipe:

1.) I softened 1/2 C of butter and then mixed the spices in with the butter. I separated the skin from the chicken breast (you can easily do this with the handle of a rubber spatula; just make sure you don't poke through the skin) and put the majority of the butter and spices under the skin and 2.) I drizzled olive oil on top of the chicken and rubbed the remaining spices on top.

I also made a gravy (next time I'll cut it in half, it made a lot of gravy):

1/2 C butter
1/2 C flour
2 Cans of organic chicken stock
liquid from the crock pot
fresh ground salt and pepper to taste

In a sauce pan, melt the butter on medium low heat. Whisk in the flour. Continue whisking for 3 - 4 minutes. Slowly pour in stock and whisk until all of the lumps are out, add in liquid from the crock pot, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Enjoy!

Here is the link for "100 Days of Real Food" I hope you enjoy her site as much as I do! http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/02/25/recipe-the-best-whole-chicken-in-a-crock-pot/


No comments:

Post a Comment