Friday, October 28, 2011

Brrrr...Honey, It's Cold Outside!

On days like today (cold, cloudy, windy and just plain dreary) I want hearty foods, such as chili. I've tried a lot of different recipes, but I always come back to one and, surprisingly, it's my own recipe! Actually, I took a base recipe that we really enjoyed and threw in bits and pieces from other recipes. The first time I experimented with chili, it came out so good that I knew I'd end up sharing it. Now, I think it's perfected, at least for my taste buds. Even better, depending on my mood, I can easily spice it up or make it more rich. I think my personal favorite has to be sweet-and-spicy. (And in case you are wondering, I think it's impossible to make a bad batch so feel free to play around and even better yet, let me know what changes you've made and how it tasted. I'm always looking for way to improve the things I cook.)

So, here it is, my first mostly original recipe! Enjoy!

Sweet and Spicy Chili


1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped (any color, but I use yellow, orange or red)
2 or 3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 - 11.5 oz cans V-8
2 - 15 oz cans tomato sauce
1 - 15 oz can dark red kidney beans
1 - 15 oz can pinto beans
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (you can lower to to 1/4 or even 1/8 tsp to cut the heat)
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
2 Tbsp plus 2 1/2 tsp chili powder (you can round up to 3 Tbsp)
1/2 tsp white sugar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbs molasses
1/2 to 1 tsp. hot sauce (I don't measure this, I just throw in however much heat I'm in the mood for)
1/4 block of Velveeta, cut into chunks (optional)
shredded cheese (optional)

Brown ground beef, sausage, onion, bell pepper and garlic in a Dutch oven. Add remaining ingredients, except for cheeses, and bring to a simmer on medium high, stirring occasionally. Simmer on low for at least one hour, (I tend to simmer for at least four) stirring occasionally. Just before serving, add Velveeta and melt. Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle shredded cheese on top.

1 comment:

  1. I ran out of cumin so I put in a 1/4 tsp of coriander. Not the same, but still good. Also, I threw in 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice. Nice addition.

    ReplyDelete