Sunday, August 28, 2011

Me, Myself and Irene

In honor of hurricane Irene this weekend, I decided to make Maryland Style Crab Cakes (I'm originally from Baltimore so it was fitting). I hadn't made crab cakes in years, mostly because the last time I made them, I completely ruined them and felt like a traitor. Feeling brave and - I'll admit it - worried about my friends and family up there, riding out this historic storm, I took a deep breath and jumped in. Surprisingly, this time I didn't drown, but kept afloat. I did my native city proud! (And am happy to report that everyone seems to be fine. Some have lost power, but I haven't heard about any damage reports.)

Here are a few tips:

  • Do not shred the crab meat. It's supposed to be lumpy
  • I used Panko bred crumbs, but any kind will do
  • Next time I will try using regular mustard
  • Old Bay is a must; they aren't Maryland style without it!
  • When you form them into patties (I make little mountains actually) they will be apt fall apart a little. Just squish them back together, they'll be fine.


Maryland Style Crab Cakes


1 pound crab meat
1 1/2 Tbsp bread crumbs
2 tsp. fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg
1 1/2 Tbsp mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. ground dry mustard
1 tsp. Old Bay
2 tsp. butter

1. Preheat broiler.
2. Mix together crab meat, bread crumbs, parsley, salt and pepper.
3. In a separate bowl beat egg, mayonnaise, mustard and Old Bay. Combine with other ingredients and mix well. Form into patties, set aside.
4. Put butter into baking dish. Place dish into the oven to melt the butter. Once the butter is melted, arrange the patties on the baking dish, about 2 inches apart.
5. Broil for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious!! Happy to see you blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are and thanks!I hope to be able to do it more often now and actually finish the other pages.

    ReplyDelete