Friday, July 1, 2011

Hello Jello!


I was just eating the leftovers from yesterday's lunch and decided that my Red, White and Blue jello-salad mishap should be my first post.

I've made this salad, oh maybe 25 times in the past few years. It's a summer favorite of Adam's (my DH) and mine. The kids like it, on occasion, but Joshua (DS1) hates most fruits so every time I serve it he whines, "Mo-o-om! You know I don't like raspberries or blueberries!"

Anyway, it's a finicky, albeit easy, salad to make and yesterday it decided to show it's more finicky side. Of course, it couldn't go right when we had company coming!

Ok - rewind to Wednesday night. I had made the first layer and let it set. I told Adam that I should make the second layer that evening, (because it takes the longest to set...usually) but I was too tired and would take my chances in the morning. Bad idea!

Surprisingly, layer two was beautiful! Layer three however, had no desire to set and I was counting on the salad to be the side for lunch! Grrr...Instead, it was Jello soup. (I got out chips and just had to make do with those.) Of course when I got up this morning, it was set. Of course...

Red, White and Blue Salad

1 - 3oz package of blue berry gelatin
2 C boiling water
2 1/2 cups cold water, divided
1 C fresh blueberries
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 C whipping cream (I use 1 C Cool Whip)
6 Tbsp sugar
2 C sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 - 3oz package raspberry gelatin
1 C fresh raspberries

In a small sauce pan, bring 1 C water to a boil, stir in blue berry gelatin until dissolved. Add 1 C cold water. Pour into a 3-qt serving bowl, add blueberries. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan, sprinkle unflavored gelatin over 1/2 C cold water. Let stand 1 minute. Add in cream (or Cool Whip) and sugar; cook over low heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Cool to room temperature. Whisk in sour cream and vanilla. Spoon over the blue layer. Refrigerate until firm (I found that over night is best).

In a small sauce pan, bring 1 C water to a boil, stir in raspberry gelatin until dissolved. Add 1 C cold water. GENTLY spoon over white layer, add raspberries. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.

Serves 14-16

6 comments:

  1. This is by far one of my favorite summer treats!! It is both creamy and fruity. Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful jello!! I usually make jello cake but maybe it is time for just jello :) I don't like raspberries either so I will have to substitute some other fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your first blog post!! I'm so glad you decided to do this. Beautiful jello!! I can't wait to see more of your fun recipes. You are so talented. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellie - I've often thought about using strawberries (I'm not a huge fan of raspberries either, but Adam loves them). If you try it out, let me know how it goes!

    Thanks Adam and Shawnee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So proud of you, dear sister! Congratulations on your blog! I will have to try the jello recipe since my kids love it. I do, too, which is why I don't make it - goes right to my hips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL - thanks! Sometime I want to cook for you three (four!). And you need to teach me more! Maybe I should talk to Isleen - I want to learn how to cook Japanese! LOL

    ReplyDelete